Sunday, August 27, 2006

Another Desert


My friend Gary sent me this photo. Gary was with us in Iraq for a couple of years and is now in Algeria. He took this photo and emailed it to me to show me the difference between "his" desert and "my" desert.

I have to say that his is much more along the classical lines and makes me think of Beau Geste and the comic strip "Crock". I love the shadow play in this photo. It is almost like a painter's trcik to give you the sense of depth and scale. On this photo it works too.

A lot of people wondered why I have not been posting for more than a week. It is a simple answer. The insiduous machine known as IT have new firewalls which were blocking my access. Thank goodness for a sympathetic IT wonk who guided me through the "get around."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, ..... its....... Lawrence of Arabia country!

3:00 AM  
Blogger David said...

Amazing pic. Thank you for posting.

3:02 AM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Imaging racing a truck, car, or motorcycle through that stuff like they do in the Paris-Dakar race.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Now that's the desert I picture when someone says they're in a desert. Beautiful picture.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Empty Quater" in SE Saudi Arabia and Southern UAE is similar. I remember flying in on an ARAMCO plan once to a well site and while flying over the floor of the "Subca" we still had to look up to see the top of the dunes. On the slopes of some of the dunes were some of the nicest colored sands, pinks, reds, orange. They sort of sifted out by weight which also was matched to a color.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Casper said...

Hey man there are always other IT Wonks just a phone call away!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile