Friday, August 04, 2006

Kosher Food and Japanese Troops

It gets weird sometimes. I found out that there is indeed a Kosher restaurant in Kuwait. There is a Nathan's Hot Dogs at Camp Arifjan. If you have never had Nathan's you have never had the best. Even Jerry's Famous Deli in LA serves Nathan's. The signs don't state because we are in an Islamic country it but I know a little secret. All of Nathan's foods are Kosher.

Hee Hee Hee. I just felt dirty knowing I was breaking some kind of Sharia law. I could probably get like 15-20 years in prison in Iran for this. No pickles but good crunchy sauerkraut and deli mustard. Fat waffle fries and some lemonade make it a meal. It's not cheap ($6.00 for the combo meal) but damn well worth it in Kuwait.

What made this an even weirder experience is that there were genuine Japanese soldiers in line. I thought they had all gone home but apparently there are still some lingering in Kuwait. Like the Canadians they wear little flags everywhere. Little Japanese flags on their blouses, hats, and bags. I guess they, like the Canadians, don't want anyone mistaking them for Americans. Fat chance!

I was letting my mind wander while standing in the direct rays of the sun being cooked like a Nathan's dog. It suddenly dawned on me. I have eaten Japanese food with Jewish (Kosher) friends. Now I was going to eat Jewish (Kosher) with Japanese.

OK, I know that is a reach for subject matter but right now I am just in a grind trying to get my feet on the ground and learn the mission here. More to come....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH!

James,

Things are definately looking up since you migrated South...I see a marked improvement in your clientelle.

Vince

9:21 PM  
Blogger The Love Goddess said...

Nathan's hot dogs are definately NOT kosher

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile