Monday, March 19, 2007

A boy and his dog

Upon my arrival home I was greeted by the newest member of the family. A white Labrador Retriever named "Lacey". Yeah, that's right, "Lacey." My wife named her. There is something there but I just don't know what yet. Last time we got a dog we adopted Bosco and he has been part of the family for 9 years now. I told the Mrs. a bunch of times that our son needed a puppy to grow up with but I never imagined a Lab named "Lacey". I guess I will get used to it.
She is cute but is a pest. I don't remember Bosco chewing or biting toes but maybe its because most of my memories of him are him as an adult dog. He is the epitome of what a lab should be. Calm, good natured, good with everyone, fetches anything and can't stay out of water. Lacey is so bad about chewing that she gets banished to this crate when we leave. It is the newest psychobabble for dog training so I'll just go with it. What I find it handy for is that it will fit my son AND the dog. I told the little woman that we could save a lot on baby sitting if we just got a lock for the cage. I got the laser eyes for that comment!
I leave today for London. Lots of thoughts crawl through my mind and I have a lot of mixed emotion. I don't want to leave but know I have to. One more year and I am done. That is what we have decided on after all. I can make it. I wish it really was going to be "Mission Accomplished" but I have done my share. One more year and then it is back for good.

5 Comments:

Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Criminy - I missed the entire visit. Sorry. Glad you got home safe and had a nice visit. God speed to you on your trip to Kuwait.

Don't worry about upsetting the rhythm of the house. My husband does that, too - and he's not in Kuwait. I run the house. He works. If he's in the house - - he has to deal with how I run it. I think it's the same for a lot of married men with children.

The puppy is cute! Of course, the kid is cuter. lol. I don't deal with puppies well. Most kids I like.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lacey!! What better name for a pure white lab. An Omen you might say. I see curtains flowing in window openings that are covered only in lace curtains with a warm summmer southern breeze (no A/C.)
"A boy and his dog".... :
What a picture. I am so happy that you experienced that moment in life with your son. No matter what happens later in our lives that type of moment is the most important. Not to you, to him!
Love you James and I love your family. I am at their disposal at any time for any reason. You be safe and you be careful.

Your friend in service,
Fritz.

I leave today for London. Lots of thoughts crawl through my mind and I have a lot of mixed emotion. I don't want to leave but know I have to. One more year and I am done. That is what we have decided on after all. I can make it. I wish it really was going to be "Mission Accomplished" but I have done my share. One more year and then it is back for good.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.info

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

12:49 AM  
Blogger Dave... said...

Believe me James, the name could be worse.

The important thing is that your son has an opportunity to grow up with a dog - something that like you, I think is very important to the growth of a child, boy or girl.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

Every young man should have a dog in his life. Some of my fondest memories from childhood involve my old springer spaniel, Sam.

You took the wrong approach on suggesting you leave you son in the dog crate. I would have suggested my wife getting in the crate the first time around to see if it was a plausible idea.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile