Monday, January 15, 2007

Soldier Humor

No matter where we go we leave a mark. Sometimes it is in the cultural changes we make and sometimes it is in the guise of smaller things like humor.

American soldiers have always had a warped sense of humor and it is tradition to leave behind jokes, remarks, etc. Some are funnier than others and some are all about place and time.

I was with three others today who have never been to Baghdad so after a tedious and painful meeting we took the opportunity to have a look around at some of the sights.
I have read a lot of soldier humor in the form of graffitti and it says so much about the American psyche that we carry everywhere we go. Even in the midst of destruction and pain the American soldier finds a way to see the funny side.

I took these pics today at the Flintstone Palace. This is the children's playplace that he was building across from the "Victory Over America" Palace in the Camp Slayer complex. While all the finished palaces are occupied by Coalition Forces or agencies, the unfinished ones are not. The Victory Over America Palace was never finished and neither was the Flintstone Palace.


I love this one. I can't wait for "Wet Burkha Wednesdays" myself. I am trying to imagine what the prize is. Is it a free Hijab? Maybe a free goat sandwich? Who knows what amazing things await the lucky winner.
The DJ can wail from the minaret while she spins like a whirling dervish slinging water at all the spectators. Of course the Taliban just would not approve of this. Too shocking and all. Maybe Mullah Omar might get a secret titallation from it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I have always loved sick humor. Something got twisted up in me all those years of working graveyards, I think.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Sean Dustman said...

good to see you still blogging, I agree, if your country gets invaded by a bunch of teenage american soldiers (to early the early 30's) expect them to write on every surface.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile