Monday, December 17, 2007

Disconnecting

Now that I have dropped paper and talked it out for my demob and Aloha bird out of here they want to try and talk me into staying. No, nada, nyet. I promised the little guy that I would be home for Christmas. That in itself is kind of strange though. Knowing I will be home before Christmas and beyond is some times a little frightening. I am so used to running full speed 12+ hours a day 7 days a week that I worry I will have trouble adjusting. Time will tell.

Right now time is dragging. I find myself just trying to wrap up loose ends. The new CO keeps adding taskers to me and I keep telling him I won't be here. I guess that I have been a fixture so long that they just don't fathom that I really will be leaving a vacuum that they have not filled yet.

I am divesting myself of all the creature comforts I colected over here. I have a wonderful automatic Braun coffee maker with a stainless steel carafe and a timer but it is 220v. So are my iron, hair dryer, etc. All that stays behind as does my cell phone because I discovered it has a 220v charger only. Can't even charge it at home.

What has been endearing is that I have had many personnel who have worked for me come up to me and press slips of paper into my hands with email addresses, phone numbers, etc with their contact info. They all tell me they will follow me to the pits of hell. That makes me sad as hell and I can't help but feel guilty but I have to live some life with my son and wife for a change.

Hell can wait a while!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On your through BTC, stop by and give Parker a big kiss. I heard he's back on the line for another tour!

Vince

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RUN FORREST RUN !!! All of us who worked with or for you feel the same way.
It will be an adjustment but I know that if anyone can, its you.Been doing it all your adult life.Irony is that a normal life will be strange for a while.
Big Lou

8:23 PM  
Blogger David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 12/17/2007 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The right choice. Having had the privilage of working for you I know how those employees feel. You were then and no doubt are now a great leader. As part of leadership responsibility one has to also know when it is time. It is time for you to hand it over as you are doing. Your leadership is needed elsewhere and who knows your influence may make the "T-man" a leader of men in his own right.
God Speed and all the best my friend.

By the way, what did you use a hair dryer for!!!!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile