Monday, July 17, 2006

Back in the Sand Box

I am back in the Sand Box and getting ready for my transition to Kuwait. I was exhausted from the merciless trip back but the earth's rotation, time zones, airline schedules, Coriolis effect, bad food, dehydration, and godless communism all conspire to just wear you out when you travel this way. Going back West is easy. You leave at 01:45 from Dubai and arrive at 14:10 the same day in Austin. On the way back you leave at 12:45 and arrive at 22:30 the next day.

Anyway, I saw some of my Cav buddies in Killeen and I am packing CARE packages for them. I am leaving my coffee maker (Braun) , a grinder, and 20 pounds of coffee beans plus all my dished and flatware for them. That may not seem like anything special but believe me that after you eat out of styrofoam boxes and plastic forks for a few months it seems like place settings from the Queen of England's own banquet table.

I'm looking forward to the change. I still feel guilty that I am leaving a job so unfinished but I am still part of the Army tail except that instead of being in the middle of the Sunni Triangle, I will be in a relatively quiet area. Off I go to pack and ship. You gotta love APO to APO shipping. It is FREE!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dinah Lord said...

flythemig-

We are like two jets passing in the night. I left town on business for a month and haven't looked at my humble blog since 6/12. Your comment came in 6/13. Sorry I missed you. Thanks for visiting the blog - so glad to hear that you are heading stateside.

Hopefully by the time you get this you will be safe and sound and enjoying a refreshing cold, adult beverage of your choice.

Hope to get back in the blogging saddle soon but might have jury duty first. (!) Until then I just want to say God bless you.

My words seem so lame and silly when I try to come up with ways to attempt to say thank you for all you do for this country. So, thank you for your service, man.

Cheers - Dinah

4:02 AM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

It sounds terribly difficult. Listen - don't you feel guilty about anything. You are doing your duty just like the rest and have only to feel proud of that.

God bless and be safe.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Frazzledsister said...

Man, free shipping! I bet some people join the military just for that.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile