Friday, August 12, 2005

A genuine American Hero


I am proud to know Butch Jacobs and even more proud to call him a friend. LTC (Now COL) Jacobs is a Southern Gentleman with the refined airs of the genteelness that still exists in places like South Carolina. Butch is a product of that state and that culture. He was our Mayor while in Iraq and I worked with him on an almost daily basis. He and I had many difficulties and hurdles to overcome but we managed to do so with out rancor even though conditions were harsh, we were under fire, and we had marginal support. We built a fine camp for our soldiers.

Butch is a Vietnam veteran, Gulf War veteran, and now an OIF veteran. He is a member of the South Carolina National Guard and is also a High School football coach. South Carolina and the USA should be proud that they produce men like COL Jacobs. He led his team of South Carolinians in a way that few can match. He did so with strength, humility, kindness, firmness, and care all at the same time. I took a lot of leadership lessons from him and he did not even know it. Of all the coins I have been awarded, his is the one I am most proud of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile