Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Best Pledge of Allegiance I Have Ever Heard



I remember when I was a small boy how I would watch Red Skelton on TV with my Grandmother. I remember how hard we laughed when he did his "Freddy the Freeloader" skits. You could not do that today because instead of "bums" we now have "homeless". Red Skelton was a clean, non cursing comedian who never took a mean stance toward anyone but I guess today he would be brought up on some kind of charges because he would be considered insensitive.

It is known that Red Skelton had another trait that may be considered to be non PC today. He was a patriot. He knew, as we know now, that even though we are not perfect, we are a damn sight better than any other group out there and that even though other countries may have longer lifespans, better health care, be more tolerant, have kids better at math, it does not matter one whit to me. Like Red, I would rather be an American than anything else on earth.

I thank God every day that I was born an American. I know what misery exists in the world. I have seen it first hand. I have seen abject poverty. I have seen violence of the worst sort and I have witnessed every sort of mistreatment to fellow man that can just about be inflicted. I also know that as an American I have an inalienable right to escape all of that. My ancestors braved the cold waters of the North Atlantic in wooden boats to escape all that, to give their future generations a chance to have a better life.

Red Skelton knew this too. I am attaching a link to a site where you can hear Red Skelton give his version of the Pledge of Allegiance. Listen to him describe his mentor and think of some one who imparted those values on you. I think of my grandmother (Mammaw). She survived the Great Depression, WWII, and lost her husband at an early age but she never let down, she never gave up and she loved her country. She believed in God, Country, and Family and she imparted these beliefs and values on myself and my sister. May she rest in peace, this one is for her.

Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance

Thanks to Dinah for contributing the link! She has a great blog, read it sometime.

1 Comments:

Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Excellent find! Thanks.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile