Monday, June 12, 2006

A Bucolic Scene


This mural was painted on the wall of the officer's mess (Chow Hall) in the Iraqi Chemical Weapons Research Building which is here on post. Chemical Ali himself ate here many times. The building has been abandoned ever since we got here and has not been used.

It is strange to me hwo we found these type scenes all over the base. This is not a scene from Iraq and in fact the closest places that look like this are in Iran or Europe. We found murals and paintings of lush, green landscapes, wildlife, mountains, etc. It almost seems like they wanted to forget where they live and see something relaxing for a change.

I know the feeling. Everything here is brown, tan, or sand colored. I wrote once before about the Khaki world I live in but it seems that the Iraqis think that themselves too. I know that when I show them pictures of California and the Pacific Ocean they marvel at it. I guess it is just hard to fathom that much water being in one place.

Oh well, something different from my usual postings. FYI - I still feel good about that bastard Zarqawi getting offed by the Zoomies. I just wish he could have stayed alive and suffered a little longer. I wonder how he is reacting to the 72 Virginians who were waiting to kick his ass in the afterlife?

3 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

News reports we're getting are that it took a while for him to die from the effects of the bomb-blast, his lungs were hammered and he had multiple internal organ failures - so it was not immediate... Heh.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't this Bldg. 3? I remember seeing the mural. One of many buildings I found myself in. As you may remember, I did have a tendency!
I remember talking to someone about the murals and it was mentioned that it was probably because a few of the staff that worked in the building were from Europe. Possible, who knows. Should we expect anyless from our allies in Europe?

11:59 PM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I think he lasted 52 minutes in excruciating pain with all of those internal injuries.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile