Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Paths We Follow

I sat in a meeting today with two retired Lt. Generals, a retired Brigadier General, a serving Brigadier General and a host of retired and serving officers from Colonels on down. I wonder sometimes how I got here and just what the hell I am doing with such an august group of Americans.

I am serving my country the best way I can and I am honored to be in such company. I wonder sometimes what I would be doing now if I had followed a different path in life. Where would I be if I had stayed with Petroleum Construction? Where would I be if I had become a pilot like I always wanted to be? What would I be doing if I was a peacenick and against the war? Where would I be if I had married a woman less supportive? Wait a minute....I did that and it turned our bad. The one I have now is the one I was always menat to be with.

We all have choices and paths to follow. I followed this one and it has taken me to places and events that I never thought I would see or experience. Life has not been perfect but it is my path, my choice and my way forward. I would not have it any other way.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many times in my life I have looked back and thought "what if" and the answer was always the same. I really wouldn't want it any other way.

It's not that I haven't done things to make my life harder on me than it had to be. Lord knows that happened more than once. It's not that I haven't done things that I have lived to regret. Done that more than once too. What it is is (and I am not a Clinton fan) I wouldn't be who I am and where I am if I went back and changed something, some event or something else. I am happy where I am and as you well know a misdirection of a minute or a second can make a lot of difference in where a mortor lands. It can also effect where you are in your life. Are you happy where you are? Could things be better than they are? The questions never stop once you get on that kick. My opinion, I am sure that there are hundreds if not thousands of others out there who are glad that you choose the path that you did. YOU have made a difference in a lot of peoples lives. YOU know that had YOU not been where you were when you were there someone else would have been in YOUR place. And YOU know that the possibilities of someone not careing as much as you have were great.

It is so true that the support of the one you love is so important. It enables you to release YOUR energy in a positive way. Karen must give you that ability as YOU have certainly been a positive factor in the KBR operations while you were with OIF and I am sure you were equally as affective in Bosnia.

Hang in there Garfield, YOUR going to make it.

Fritz

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Milblogging.com Profile